My DIY Light Fixture Update For Less than $10

posted in: Art, Our Home | 4

 

 

I’ve been wanting to do this project for quite a while now but just didn’t make the time until this weekend. I’m so glad I did! Y’all this is super easy to do and will fit into any budget!

I used the same kind of paint for this that I used on our tile backsplash in the kitchen. You can see that diy post here: Kitchen Remodel

This is a photo of the fixture as it was when we moved in.

Here are the supplies I used. I love this paint, y’all! It’s Waverly Super Premium Acrylic Paint and you can get it at Wal-mart.

It sticks to everything! I’ve painted tile, a bathroom cabinet, and now this metal light fixture. It is only $5 a bottle! Yeah…. $5!!

I just used about 1/4 of this little bottle and did the whole light with it. I also used a chip brush and a paper plate ๐Ÿ™‚

Too cheap and easy, right?!!

I removed the glass globes and stuck them in the kitchen sink full of soapy water and cleaned the fixture really wellย  halfway wiped the rest of it off ๐Ÿ™‚

Then I started painting! I found that it worked best for me to stipple the paint instead of wiping it with normal brush strokes. Here’s a video of what I mean.

I liked the details on some areas so I didn’t force the paint into those crevices. It left the white showing and made a beautiful effect that I didn’t really plan ahead of time.

This is just one coat of paint and it is done! It dries with a semi gloss finish that looks clean and sleek.

I washed the globes and replaced the light bulbs but couldn’t decide what to do about that chain and ceiling disk, but it was too late in the day and I had somewhere to be. I had to sleep on it.

I’m so glad I had to make myself stop and come back to this project, because I had an idea during the night.

Why is that? That happens to me all the time! I wake up with a genius idea and want to get up right then and do it. LOL! I waited until morning and started on this second part of the project.

Burlap ribbon, scissors, and a hot glue gun were my tools of choice this time!

I had the idea to glue two pieces of this burlap ribbon together and create a cover for the chain. It worked!

I just hot glued two pieces together all the way down one side, like this.

Then I grabbed an extension cord for my glue gun, a step ladder for my short legs, and started covering the chain and gluing the other sides together.ย  I also decided to paint the disk on the ceiling too. Here’s how it turned out!

To make it bunch up a little better, I twisted it.ย  I love how this turned out! It was so easy to do and so affordable! I already had all of these supplies on hand but if I had bought them all it would have been less than $10! You can’t beat that!

Here’s a side by side for you to really get a good idea of the difference a little paint can make.

I hope this gives you a bit of inspiration and you’ll be able to use some of my ideas in your home to make it a little happier.

 

If you’d like to try the burlap ribbon trick, here’s my affiliate link to grab some.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 Responses

  1. Freida Davis

    You just inspired me to make a change on some ugly light fixtures! Love your paintings and ideas.

    • amanda

      Yay! I am so happy to hear that! I’d love to see what you create ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. That\\\’s a great ideal! The light fixture looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing your good infro.

    • amanda

      You are very welcome! Thanks for the kind comment!